Machinists utilize machine tools (manual and/or computer numerically controlled/CNC) such as milling machines, saws, cylindrical grinders, lathes, and other shop equipment to produce steel rolls and parts in conforming to blueprints and engineering specifications. The process includes removal of excess material, burrs from surface, buffing, honing or polishing. Machinists apply their knowledge of working components of metal/steel and their ability with machine tools to deliver products precise to specification.
- Analyze work orders, job specifications, blueprints and details
- Lift and safely position workpieces with hoists and secure on machine
- Proper setup and adjustment of machine controls according to specification
- Safe operation of lathes, milling machines, saws, grinders and other shop tools
- Observe machine operations to detect any problems, making necessary adjustments
- Comply with safety training, disciplines and initiatives; utilize proper PPE
- Pushing steel rolls on transport dollies and/or safe forklift operation
- Walking and/or standing 100% of time
- Miscellaneous housekeeping to ensure clean, safe work area and department
Knowledge & Skills
- High degree of job knowledge, skills, and precision accuracy within specified dimensions and tolerance
- Extensive experience with shop theory and math, reading blueprints and measuring instruments
- Ability to listen to and understand information, as well as comprehension of written communication, job details, drawings, blueprints, and instructions
- Effective, operational knowledge of machine shop tools, power tools, and other equipment
- Controlling mechanisms or applying direct physical activity in machine operation
- Ability to identify differences, issues or detect changes in operational performance
- Ability to develop constructive, cooperative working relationships with others
- Ability to lift a minimum 50 lbs
- Ability to safely operation overhead hoists and maneuver in a factory environment
- Safe, effective use of personal protective equipment and compliance with proper work practices
- Ability to walk and/or stand for lengthy periods
High School Graduate; Vocational/Technical training to journeyman certification, with 5+ years machine shop experience. Prior work history in a manufacturing environment is preferred. Detail focused with abilities to effectively operate machinery with controlled precision, attaining optimal performance and quality results. Mechanical aptitude, practical use of tools and equipment, PPE, and compliance with safety initiatives.
We offer a competitive salary with incentives for success. The job opening is immediate.