Roll Design Engineer
Founded in 1947, IR Engraving has earned its reputation as a world leader in designing and building engraved rolls and plates, gravure rolls and custom machinery.
For 72 years, our customers have come to rely on us for superior service, quality and innovation to help them make their diverse array of products stand out from their competition.
Virginia Public Television recently featured IR Engraving on its “Made in Virginia” TV series where they not only uncover how things are made, but also the innovative and often extraordinary people behind the products made right here in Virginia. Check us out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_y_8WDBUyI&t=1s
We are looking to hire a dynamic, energetic individual to assist with our demanding customer requirements.
- Design and create innovative products/machines and systems generally based on customer specification; modify existing products for improved performance
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of machinery, equipment, components and systems
- Analyze product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs that can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing methods
- Research production specifications, costs, production materials and manufacturing methods; confer with sales, operations, purchasing, accounting, suppliers, and engineering team
- Preparation of product design or layout with sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, schematics or blueprints, using drafting instruments and or use of computer-aided design programs
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing or building of prototype product or system; plan and develop experimental test programs to define, prevent and/or eliminate defects
- Modify and refine designs, using working models or samples, to conform with customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends
- Present designs and reports to customers or design committee for approval; discuss modifications; estimate costs and present quotation for custom-designed product to sales
- Act as liaison to sales, interfacing with customers, to contribute to sales growth and technical service support; participate in new product planning or market research
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years work experience
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and functional level.
- Must have knowledge/experience designing, developing, and analyzing mechanical structures
- Must have experience creating and sustaining a structured bill of materials
- Must have 3D CAD modeling experience, preferably using Inventor
- Proficient in Geometric Dimension and Tolerance (GD&T) techniques
- Knowledge of machinery standards (including electrical, hydraulic and controls)
- Experience with thermal dynamics, heat transfer, and fluid flow analysis and design a plus
- Must have good planning, organization, communication skills, and be team oriented
- Must have a working knowledge of product lifecycle management
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience with a small company (between 75 – 100 employees);
- Stable work record.
We offer a competitive salary with incentives for success. The job opening is immediate.