Technical Sales Engineer
A Technical Sales Engineer sells and promotes products and/or services requiring technical knowledge of engineering and cost effectiveness. Calls on company management representatives to introduce products/services and convince them of the desirability, potential value and practicality of such offerings.
- Generate new business and ensures growth of existing accounts
- Use technical knowledge of product offerings to support and build sales
- Confer with customers to assess potential application of company products or services and offer solutions that meet customer requirements or needs
- Collaborate with engineers and sales team to promote the sale of products/services/technical support
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations that explain and demonstrate, to existing or potential customers, how and why products and services would best serve their needs
- Work with customers and production engineering to determine how products or services could be designed or modified to best accommodate the customer
- Recommend and/or propose changes in equipment, or use of materials, product or machinery to customers, documenting how such changes will result in cost reduction or operational improvement
- Plan and modify product configurations to meet customer needs
- Develop, prepare and present sales proposal/quotation to customer; secure or renew orders
- May provide technical training to clients and communicate customer feedback for future product development
- May diagnose problems with product or installed machinery and/or provide consultation
- Effective oral, written and telephonic communication skills; interpersonal skills; leadership and computer literacy
- Active listening and negotiation skills; persuasiveness and ability to influence others; social perceptiveness
- Principles of customer service; problem sensitivity, interpersonal/relationship management
- Analytical and critical thinking, problem solving, decision-making
- High level of job and technical knowledge, organization, follow-through; effective management of time and resources
Knowledge & Skills
Sales and Marketing — Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.